A key component to the development of the Action Plan were stimulated discussions and dialogue between diverse stakeholders. Each invitational policy consultation included 40–60 participants representing a wide range of health care stakeholders. The participants explored ideas and best practices to advance three specific home care priorities:
- Home is one of the best places to manage long-term conditions
- Home is one of the best places to recover from an illness or injury
- Home is one of the best places to live out final days
The facilitated discussions addressed the following questions:
- What actions can the federal government take to advance the key considerations for each home care priority area?
- When should these actions happen? Year 1 (2016) – Year 2 (2017) – Year 3 (2018)
- How can the provincial/territorial governments align and support these actions?
- What would success look like for the federal government?
- Which actions should be given high priority?